Summer distribution takes place on Mondays from the the first Monday in May until the Monday beforeThanksgiving.
630-830pm in backyard of the Woods.
Rain, shine, holidays
The Woods ( located at – 48 South 4th st, between Wythe Ave & Kent Ave) has graciously hosted our distribution since the 2010. Our farmers set up in their gorgeous backyard. Our members enjoy picking up produce in a spacious & comfy outdoor area with access to a full bar and some of the best food in the hood!
Produce is divided by share type. There are separate stations for the veggies, berries, orchard fruit, eggs, and meat.
Look for a fellow member with the clip board next to each station. Please sign in before you grab any produce. Everything is listed under a Share Name which is your “password”. Guests are welcomed to pick up for you.
Bring bags! The produce will not be pre-bagged or boxed. Veggies and fruit will arrive in flats from which you will choose your produce. Each crate of produce will have a tag that will let you know what quantity to take. A bunch of this, a head of that, and a pound of this. Typically you will need 2-3 totes and a hand-full of plastic bags. Some people bring tupperware to tote tomato, peach, berry, and other fragile items
Every share family takes a turn helping run a distribution.
These shifts start at 6 ending about 9pm leaving once everything is cleaned up, the leftovers are loaded into the car to the Mission, and the supplies, crates and other supplies have been stored away.
How a typical shift rolls:
- Arrive & Sign In:
- We ask that everyone arrive as close to 6pm as possible. We understand that some people have jobs with bosses that are not understanding or flexible, so……..if you can’t arrive by 6pm we ask that you arrive ASAP.
- Set up the produce areas:
- The volunteers first task will be setting up the produce, arranging it for easy pick up.
- Next, the laminated signs must be labeled.
- Then the clipboards and lists must be prepared.
- Grab a drink and get ready to assist members:
- Volunteers will take turns picking up their produce, one at a time,during distribution.
- There are several jobs during distribution:
- Check members off the list as they collect their produce
- “Stock” produce & remove empty crates and damaged produce
- Assist with weighed produce
- At 8:35 (because yes, we give people a 5 minute grace period) we consolidate the leftovers, clean and sweep up the bar, and put all the supplies away in the back storage room
- The final task is to load up the car with the produce being taken to the Southside Mission