This page contains information on the volunteer commitment for members of the Southside CSA. It is general information for those interested in joining. (If you are a member looking for logistical information, please see Soup Kitchen tab or Distribution Logistics page)
Southside CSA is run by volunteers. Members are required to do 12 hours of volunteer work during the season to help run the show. Signing up for membership implies a commitment to help be responsible to make this whole vegetable market in a bar thing run smoothly…
All share families complete 10 hours of volunteer service over the 7 months. The 12 hours of volunteer service are broken down into 3 areas:
–4 hours volunteering in support of food security in the neighborhood –either at the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen or at the Southside Mission
–3 hours helping at distribution
–3 hours for the Southside CSA community
(Details about these shift areas is listed below…)
At your sign-up appointment, in addition to choosing your share packages and making a deposit, you will schedule your 3 volunteer “shifts”, penciling yourself into the volunteer calendars. We realize that it is hard to know your Summer & Fall schedules in February or March but we appreciate your ability to humor us and help us schedule things. We send out email reminders the week before your shifts and are always willing to reschedule as your schedule shifts around.
Every share family commits to complete the required hours in each of the following three CSA core values: Community SupportedAgriculture
Building community through 5 volunteer hours in support of our csa, local initiatives, and a liveable city & sustainable neighborhoods
Every share family helps the CSA by volunteering for minor projects, like writing member diarys and other content for our blog, organizing farm visits, or help distribution run smoother. These “shifts” help the organizers plan and execute a wide variety of group events, farm trips, fundraisers, and potlucks. It also provides content and pictures for the Southside CSA blog.
In the past, our members have organized a plethora of fun community events: we went on group bike rides to Governor’s Island & the Newtown Creek Nature Walk, had a potluck at the Eagle Street Rooftop farm and on Bedford during Williamsburg Walks, hosted cooking demos and harvest dinners, went on field trips to the Greig Farm & MimoMex Farm, and supported several grassroot projects in the neighborhood with volunteer support at fundraisers. We look forward to some more of the same in 2013. At your sign-up appointment you will schedule your community shift.
- Member Diary blog post- Write up how your group uses, divides, stores your share.
- Organize day trip to farm (Must be able to rent and drive a passenger van. CSA will pay for it, but you would rent it, etc)
- Man the Info Desk during a distribution. This involves selling swag and answering questions.
- Photograph a distribution and post weekly share info on the blog (Should be familiar with wordpress)
- Organize a potluck or other fun cooking event
- Volunteer at TASTE Williamsburg - 2014 event will most likely be Sept 14
Supporting food security in our neighborhood through 4 hours of volunteer service in support of the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen or the Southside Mission
Every share group completes 4 hours of volunteer work supporting CSA projects in a Southside food pantry & a Greenpoint soup kitchen.
In past years, Southside CSA volunteers washed hundreds of dishes at the soup kitchen, mopped floors, watered and weeded the kitchen garden, carried flats of food, and made lots of delicious food in support of the weekly community meal at the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen. We rocked out specials sauces, sweet fruit compotes, and salty fresh pickles and washed and organized crates and crates of fresh produce. In addition, we delivered hundreds of crates to the Southside Mission Pantry. With our helping hand, these amazing grassroots hunger programs received lots of fresh local organic produce. Tons of shifts to choose from.
- Volunteer at soup kitchen on Wednesdays from May to November before, during, and after the meal. The Greenpoint Soup Kitchen meal is cooked on Wednesdays, starting at 3pm, with the meal being served at 6pm, and clean-up running till 9pm.
- Volunteer at the soup kitchen on Saturday afternoons from mid-June until November helping store a CSA delivery. This means washing, prepping, and cleaning vegetables, the kitchen, and the garden.
- Drive (your car) filled with all the “leftovers” to our donation spot – The Southside Mission located at 280 Marcy in South Williamsburg
- Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen Supper Club Fundraiser. These fundraisers are held on some random Fridays; Shifts run from Noon till past midnight, making it easy to work with even the busiest schedule.
- Garden workdays at the Greenpoint Soup Kitchen
Controlling cost through group support of a family farm
Every share family must complete one 3 hour distribution shift from 6-9pm. (Each week there will be 5-6 members working distribution)
We depend on our CSA members to set up our vegetable distribution area at The Woods and to help distribute produce to their fellow members, and then help clean up at the end of the pick-up.