Although the dark days of Winter are still far on the horizon, it’s time to think about stocking up on the bountiful harvest.
Sign ups are OPEN for the 2013-2014 Winter Season
2013/2014 Distribution dates -Tuesdays Dec 17 + Jan 21 + Feb 18 + Mar 18 + Apr 15
Location & Time: 5-830pm @ 136 Metropolitan Ave (Downstairs bar @ Nitehawk Cinema)
Here at the Southside CSA, it is time to sign up for the Winter Share. We are super stoked to be doing the Winter Share again with Winter Sun Farms. For more information about the farm, the mission, and the produce check out the blog post from our first year- “Winter Share”. This year, we will also be offering an Egg share from a Hudson Valley farm running through the entire Winter & Spring.
Winter Sun Farms Share
Distribution dates: Third Tuesdays - 12/17, 1/21, 2/18, 3/18, 4/15.
Cost: Early-Bird Discounts
- in Sept — $130 per share
- in Oct — $142 per share
- in Nov – $152 per share
- in Dec – $162 per share
- $30 – 1 dozen per month (for 5 months)
- $60 – 2 dozen per month (for 5 months)
- $90 – 3 dozen per month (for 5 months)
- $120 – 4 dozen per month (for 5 months)
Volunteer: 1 distribution shift per share family -3 time slots – 445 to 645pm; 5 to 7pm; 645 to 845pm (12/17, 1/21, 2/18, 3/18, 4/15)
Location & Time: 5-830pm @ 140 Metropolitan Ave (Loftspace @ Metro/Berry) – We are hoping to move next door to the bar at Nitehawk CInema. Stay tuned….
To sign up, come to info desk during weekly distribution. 630-830pm. Backyard of the Woods (48 S4th) or email for appointment.
Info: The Winter Share is different and similar from our Harvest Season Share. Both are great economical ways to get high quality, fresh, healthy produce; both are 100% local, grown from the fertile Hudson Valley & Upstate farms; both are based on the idea of supporting small farms with upfront capital and supporting the whole damn project with volunteer hours. However, the Winter Share has distributions MONTHLY (not weekly) and consists mostly of produce frozen during the height harvest times–the pea shoots are fresh and the tomatoes come canned!!
What is in a Winter Share? A share typically consists of 7 items. 6 of these items tend to be frozen or canned; 1 item is a bag of fresh micro-greens. There are 5 monthly distributions — Dec, Jan, Feb, March & April. Each month the share items vary, rotating between the various crops frozen from the farms of NY. Each package comes labeled with the name of the fruit or vegetable & name of the farm.Things that will fill your share: heirloom tomatoes, mixes of diced red, green, & yellow peppers, whole raspberries, whole blueberries,whole blackberries, broccoli florets, cauliflower, sweet corn, green beans, butternut squash puree, fall greens mix & edamame to name a few.
Check SUBJECTS & TAGS for posts about the winter share – recipes, pics and info!
- How many people will a Winter Share feed? A single Winter Share is not meant to feed a house all Winter; it is meant to help keep your Brooklyn kitchen connected with a local food source. A typical share can be used to supplement 3-4 meals; Of course, it all really depends on how you cook.
- Can you buy more than 1 base share per household? Of course! Our household found the Winter Share to be such a great boost in our Winter cooking repertoire that we will be buying several.
- When can I sign up? During distribution every Monday from 630-830pm at The Woods (48 S4th). Or set up an appointment by emailing email@example.com