Filed under: Greig Farm Berry Share, Member Diary, MimoMex Farm Shares, NY Orchard Share, Recipes | Tagged: apple, Egg, jam, Jams & Jellies, squash, strawberries, strawberry, sweet breads, Sweet Things | Leave a comment »
We busted out the jam pot and made our first jam of the season. Strawberry jam! The batch turned out so deliciously red that i started thinking about getting a start on my Christmas jamming. Strawberry and rhubarb jam are such a great red color that they are beyond beautiful gifts. Plus they are such a sweet surprise in December. Inspiration to follow…
I was asked by a member if i had any good ideas for using up copious amounts of red onions in a jiffy. With Thanksgiving on the horizon, I can think of no better idea than to put up a batch of marmalade or pickles. Both rock out, both are great additions to our harvest meals, and both are pretty easy cooking.
There are lots of good recipes for Red Onion Marmalade on the internet. It is a pretty basic savory jam type thing. Miss Fox made us a batch back in July for our big bbq on the 4th using a recipe from her vault of British classics. Here are a few gems i found online:
Pickled Red Onions are one of the best accoutrements to a big family style meal. Almost as necessary as gravy! They also make great additions to salads,grains, legumes, tacos, sandwiches, and for just plain snacking. They take crackers & cheese to fabulous places. Chef Ann made a big batch for one of the Soup Kitchen Supper Clubs and it was divine. Her recipe of choice is from the essential “Joy of Pickling”. (You should really own this book if you fancy pickles!) Lots of resources on the internet for pickling:
- Pickled Red Onions by David Leibovitz
- Pickled Red Onions by Umani Girl
- Pickled Red Onions by Maia Spins
- Quick (Spicy) Pickled Red Onions by not without salt
- Cebollas en Escabeche by Rick Bayless
As you can see, both the marmalade and the pickle recipes can flux to your own tastes. Get creative with what you like and what yo have stocked in your pantry. Also, they both have a refrigerated shelf life of 6 months, so neither HAS TO be canned. However, they make great gifts at winter potlucks and for the holidays so canning up a bunch is a great idea for the motivated sort.
So, apparently Ryan and Yo made some amazing blueberry-rosemary jam last week. I was green with envy and so decided to try it out myself. This is totally their recipe y’all – I am fully admitting that up front.<!
This year for the first time EVER at Southside we are offering the fruitylicious Berry Share. For 13 weeks this summer from July to September Grieg Farm will be picking blackberries, blueberries and red and yellow raspberries first thing in the morning and delivering them to our CSA in the afternoon. That’s right folks – they will be oh but a few hours old.
Last year we got a few deliveries of berries, but whenever they reared their little berry heads, we were all super excited. SO excited in fact that we thought a whole share devote to berries would be just the ticket in 2010.
We will be running a workshop on jam making and canning which will easily swallow half your entire berry share. We will also receive a whole bunch of recipes for pies, sauces, ice creams, cocktails and other berry madness from you lot. Here are a few to get your salivary glands going…
Ahh – the Guardian, lots of proper English recipes. Here’s one for no nonsense Jam making. And for those of you who just down right laugh at the thought of making Jam (aka, Jelly, but we’ll wean you off that term) the NY Times has kindly put together a stress free Raspberry Jam article – it apparently takes 30 mins. Totally worth a go and quite frankly if i can do it, you certainly can.
Cocktails - you can never go wrong with muddling cocktails with a variety of fresh herbs into hard-laced brown sugar and ice cubes. Cocktail Hacker have some Mojito variations with Blueberries – my kind of hackers!
Savory – Berries happily flounce-up many a savory dish. Tea-Smoked Duck Breast with Pears and Blueberry Jus - umm…anything tea-smoked gets my vote. But Roast Duck with Blueberry Sauce – that one will most certainly impress even my mother-in-law. In fact, it seems you can make raspberry marinades & sauces for many meat dishes -how very sophisticated of you!
Sweet – But for those hazy days of summer there is many a sweet berry recipe guaranteed to tickle your fancy.
I thought blackberry lemonade would be good, but Blackberry-Lemon Tart with Champagne-Mint Granite..?! Oh, sweet berry bliss! Or Blackberry Sour Cream Panna Cotta with Lemon Sauce – its just so Italiano! And then there is Puzzle Pudding with Blueberries & Strawberries - a Nantucket favorite. I wonder if they’ve named an area of Brooklyn after Nantucket yet…
A little about the berry farm
Greig Farm is located on 100 acres of rolling farmland in Red Hook, NY. It is a second generation family farm growing quality fresh fruit and making it directly available to the public for the past 68 years. It has been open to the public for pick your own fruits and vegetables for more than 60 years and this is its second time working with a CSA. They do not use systemic chemicals and chose natural predators over the chemical solution whenever possible.
My kitchen can never get enough jalapenos, however, i heard a lot of gasps when people saw that there were 16 jalapenos in this week’s share. But you shouldn’t be having any fear to step up from using jalapenos as a small part of a dish to being a main component of a meal.
[Need some inspiration, check out this blow by blow blog post from the B Side Blog of her Jalapeno Cocktail Hour which includes jalapeño cornbread, jalapeño poppers, a shrimp and jalapeño salad, jalapeño-cucumber margaritas (with a candied jalapeño garnish), and a shrimp and jalapeño ceviche. Giving me some ideas for the approaching holiday weekend...]
Here are some of my favorite uses; let us know how you use your sixteen peppers…
(it is a holiday weekend after all…)
- Wanna have the best Labor Day brunch or bbq EVER? Make sure to infuse some vodka or tequila with jalapenos and make some cocktails with kick.
JAMs & JELLYs:
- Get some holiday “favors” together; homemade jams always make Thanksgiving grand and amazing holiday gifts. So many jam combos with fruit and jalapenos out there!
- Inspired by our hood, Potato & Jalapeno Pierogies
- Eggplant Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers by Snackorama
- For all the piggy lovers out there, check out these bacon-wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos by Delicious Melicious
- A fave at our house; Jalapeno Corn Muffins by Bacon is My Enemy. And a vegan version by Innocent Primate Vegan Blog
- And those muffins would go well with a Creamy Jalapeno Soup by Sarah’s Kitchen
- The mussels at the farmers market have been outrageous as of late…Mussels w/ Tomatoes, Jalapenos, & Tequila by Epicurious
- We’ve got a plethora of potatoes and peppers so this recipe seems like a good one to rock out (& clear up some needed kitchen space after csa pick-up! lol) Jalapeno & Potato Casserole by White Trash Cookbook.
- Leave it to Bobby Flay to put out the killer combo of BBQ Pork Sandwich on Grilled Jalapeno Corn Flat Bread
- Jalapeno Corn Pudding by Real Cajun Recipes
- Roasted Jalapeno Twice Baked Potatoes
- Oven Fried Jalapeno and Cheese topped Eggplant
- Eggplant Quesadilla w/ Feta, Jalapeno & Salsa by Albion Cooks
- If you haven’t tried out the beans at the McCarren Park GreenMarket, you are missing out! They are the goods. Anasazi Beans with Jalapeno Bacon by Cowgirl’s Country Life
i rarely look beyond my recipe collection for salsa recipes, having been so so so satisfied by my cookbooks (Zarela’s Veracruz and red, hot, & green) but here is some good stuff i dug up from cyber-space…
- [Fried Green Eggplant] w/ Peach Salsa by Not Eating Out in New York
- Lentil & Potato Tacos w/ Jalapeno Salsa by Green Living Community
- This is so over the top i had to include it; Kim’s Grilled pound Cake with Pineapple Salsa and Tequila Creme by Butt Lover’s BBQ
- [Easy] Jalapeno Fire Salsa by Help & Helpings
And of course we can’t forget DESSERTs:
- Chipotle Peaches and Mint Jalapeno Cream Cupcakes by feeding maybelle
- Chocolate Jalapeno Ice Cream by All Things Ice Cream
- Jalapeno Caipirinha Cupcakes by i like cake
- Jalapeno Habanero Cranberry Brownies by Chex Beau