Yeah plums! How happy are we that this is the time our farmers markets are filled with seasonal stone fruit. Love love love that sweet tart combo of the ripe sugar plums. Die for the mellow flavor of the yellow plums. Can’t wait to fill my belly with every type of NY state plum.
Anyways, one of the joys of the fruit share is FRESH fruit, but it is also one of the biggest challenges. Ripe fruit equals supreme sweetness and equal messiness and it doesn’t wait…when it is ready to be eaten, well, it best be eaten.
Now while we all can’t wait for Naomi to cruise over with one of her amazing plum tarts (hint hint), I overloaded a little on the sweet this past week with a Ginger-Peach-Blackberry Buckle (riffed off this recipe) and am craving a little savory with my plums. Last year on a whim I made a fab little plum sauce and am ready to experiment with some more savory plum recipes.Truth be told, what I really want to do is bust out some plum wine. Plans are fermenting…..hopefully I get the nerve up to try and bottle some up before the season ends.
Below is a bevy of plum inspiration. Please send us your ideas, recipe tips, and plum perfect pictures.
Savory Plum Recipes
- Chakapuli. A traditional Georgian lamb stew made with plums and herbs (parsley, mint, dill & cilantro). Looks like a great sauce that would work well with on tofu too.
- Spiced Plum Soup (cold). Great recipe from amazing blog, 5 second rule.
- Gingered Plum Barbeque Sauce Plums + Ginger = SuperYum!
- Chinese Plum Sauce
- Grilled Rack of Lamb w/ Plum Glaze & Oven Dried Plums
- Oven dried plums
- Corn-husk steamed Ahi with Plum Mint Salsa & Buttery Coconut Sauce Great fusion recipe. Looks deliciously fun.
- Wild Plum Sauce Great recipe from the vegan kitchen . Do yourself a favor and bookmark this blog, FatFree Vegan Kitchen; Sinlessly Delicious. Always inspires, never fails to disappoint!
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Grilled Plums w/ Gorgonzola & Rosemary This is so on for Saturday’s BBQ. We have been grilling peaches, putting cheese on peaches, and whatnot. Look out plums…it’s your turn now.
- Black beans w/ plums and bell peppers A popular vegetarian dish.
- Plum Chutney nom nom.
Sweet Plum Recipes
- Brioche Plum Tart
- Plum Sorbet Anyone looking to get rid of an ice cream maker cuz i am in the market…
- Plum Galette ooh la la.
- Plum & Brown Sugar Upside Down Cake Fruit + Sugar + a nice Flip = Nom Nom.
- Roasted Plums Not that I want to turn on the oven but this might be worth the sacrifice.
- Vanilla Poached Plums After having years of success with poached pears, ready to give poaching plums a whirl.
- Ginger Plum Clafoutis You can never miss when you riff off of French tradition.
- Plum Fool. Easy way to cool off…
BBQ season means cocktail time right. Some yummy ideas we dug up.