My kitchen can never get enough jalapenos, however, i heard a lot of gasps when people saw that there were 16 jalapenos in this week’s share. But you shouldn’t be having any fear to step up from using jalapenos as a small part of a dish to being a main component of a meal.
[Need some inspiration, check out this blow by blow blog post from the B Side Blog of her Jalapeno Cocktail Hour which includes jalapeño cornbread, jalapeño poppers, a shrimp and jalapeño salad, jalapeño-cucumber margaritas (with a candied jalapeño garnish), and a shrimp and jalapeño ceviche. Giving me some ideas for the approaching holiday weekend…]
Here are some of my favorite uses; let us know how you use your sixteen peppers…
(it is a holiday weekend after all…)
- Wanna have the best Labor Day brunch or bbq EVER? Make sure to infuse some vodka or tequila with jalapenos and make some cocktails with kick.
- Great how-to for Jalapeno Pepper Vodka by Infusions of Grandeur
- Spicy Bloody Marys w/ Pepper Vodka by Emeril (which he suggests garnishing with dilly beans; i love that so much more than celery!)
- Jalapeno Margaritas by astray recipes
- Jalapeno Martini by Bliss & That
- Watermelon Jalapeno Caipirhinha
JAMs & JELLYs:
- Get some holiday “favors” together; homemade jams always make Thanksgiving grand and amazing holiday gifts. So many jam combos with fruit and jalapenos out there!
- Jalapeno Tequila Cranberry Sauce
- Cranberry Jalapeno Jam
- Jalapeno Jelly by Cents to Get Debt-Free
- Peachy-Jalapeno Jelly
- Tomato Jalapeno Jam from Chile Chews
- Inspired by our hood, Potato & Jalapeno Pierogies
- Eggplant Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers by Snackorama
- For all the piggy lovers out there, check out these bacon-wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos by Delicious Melicious
- A fave at our house; Jalapeno Corn Muffins by Bacon is My Enemy. And a vegan version by Innocent Primate Vegan Blog
- And those muffins would go well with a Creamy Jalapeno Soup by Sarah’s Kitchen
- The mussels at the farmers market have been outrageous as of late…Mussels w/ Tomatoes, Jalapenos, & Tequila by Epicurious
- We’ve got a plethora of potatoes and peppers so this recipe seems like a good one to rock out (& clear up some needed kitchen space after csa pick-up! lol) Jalapeno & Potato Casserole by White Trash Cookbook.
- Leave it to Bobby Flay to put out the killer combo of BBQ Pork Sandwich on Grilled Jalapeno Corn Flat Bread
- Jalapeno Corn Pudding by Real Cajun Recipes
- Roasted Jalapeno Twice Baked Potatoes
- Oven Fried Jalapeno and Cheese topped Eggplant
- Eggplant Quesadilla w/ Feta, Jalapeno & Salsa by Albion Cooks
- If you haven’t tried out the beans at the McCarren Park GreenMarket, you are missing out! They are the goods. Anasazi Beans with Jalapeno Bacon by Cowgirl’s Country Life
i rarely look beyond my recipe collection for salsa recipes, having been so so so satisfied by my cookbooks (Zarela’s Veracruz and red, hot, & green) but here is some good stuff i dug up from cyber-space…
- [Fried Green Eggplant] w/ Peach Salsa by Not Eating Out in New York
- Lentil & Potato Tacos w/ Jalapeno Salsa by Green Living Community
- This is so over the top i had to include it; Kim’s Grilled pound Cake with Pineapple Salsa and Tequila Creme by Butt Lover’s BBQ
- [Easy] Jalapeno Fire Salsa by Help & Helpings
And of course we can’t forget DESSERTs:
- Chipotle Peaches and Mint Jalapeno Cream Cupcakes by feeding maybelle
- Chocolate Jalapeno Ice Cream by All Things Ice Cream
- Jalapeno Caipirinha Cupcakes by i like cake
- Jalapeno Habanero Cranberry Brownies by Chex Beau
2 thoughts on “Jalapeno Maddness!”
Ooohhhh..lots of good uses for jalapenos! Thanks–I’ve got a big crop that just came in…
= great hot sauce
Also, this recipe for chutney is a good use of overriped plums. Add chunks of apple/peach for a more complex item.
SPICED PLUM CHUTNEY (from epicurious.com)
* 1 whole star anise*
* 1 whole clove
* 1 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
* 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
* 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 pounds red, black, green, or blue plums (tart or sweet; about 5 large),quartered, pitted
Finely grind star anise, clove, and cinnamon stick in spice mill or coffee grinder.
Combine spice mixture, vinegar, sugar, ginger, mustard seeds, and pepper in heavy large saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves and bring to boil. Add plums; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until chutney thickens and chunky sauce forms, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Cool. Season to taste with salt.