Let’s get pickled!
We’ve grilled it, baked it, and even enjoyed it raw. But after three weeks of funny smelling pee we needed a break. This was the perfect time to try our hand at pickling. We purchased a case of Ball Regular Mason Canning Jars from Amazon for $20 and brushed up on the basics of pickling and canning. See recipe below.
- Enough asparagus & carrots to fill two mason jars
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 2/3 cups white vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Szechuan pepper corns
1. Sterilize mason jars. Boil them in hot water for 5 minutes.
2. Wash & trim up asparagus.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt, & Szechuan pepper corns. Bring ingredients to a boil and boil for one minute.
4. Pack the asparagus, garlic, and carrots into the mason jars. Pack em’ tightly.
5. Pour the hot liquid into mason jars.
6. Seal the mason jars. And then boil them in hot water for about 10 minutes to get a good seal. No pop top = good seal.
We are looking forward to enjoying our pickled asparagus…