Another amazing recipe from Nicole. Check out her fab blog and the original post (with more gorgeous pics) over at Tiny Kitchen BK
Toppings & Bread:
- sliced cucumber (about 2oz)
- sprigs of cilantro (to taste)
- FRESH baguette
- 2 red radishes (I salted mine first for 10 minutes then rinsed to remove bitterness)
- thinly sliced red onion
- pickled carrot (ingredients and recipe below)
- mayonnaise or veganaise (optional)
- sriracha sauce (optional)
- sliced jalepeno pepper (optional)
- meat or tofu
For the protein portion, you’ll need:
- 1/3 – 1/2lb pork loin or pork belly (use DRAINED firm tofu for veg/vegan version)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 TBSP fish sauce
- 2 TSP salt
- thinly sliced red onion (or shallots if you have them)
- 2-3 TBSP canola oil
- 1 TSP sesame oil
Pickled carrot ingredients:
- julienned carrots (or thinly sliced, you can use a peeler if you’re lazy)
- 2 TSP salt
- 2-3 TSP sugar
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar
- water to cover
- Dissolve sugar and salt in water for carrot pickles. Pour over carrot and add rice vinegar. Set aside for one hour. You can put the radish in the pickles if you like, but salt them first to remove the bitterness then rinse.
- Make the marinade. In a large plastic bag (I used a Ziploc bag) put all ingredients for the marinade except the meat. Shake the bag a bit, then drop in the meat or tofu. Let it sit for about an hour.
- Set aside the other toppings and slice the baguette to a sandwich portion you want to eat. Slice open one side (keeps your topping in the sandwich)
- At the end of the hour marinade time, cook the med on medium heat on the stove. When finished, put the meat and toppings in the sandwich and top with sriracha.
To shake things up, scramble and egg instead of pork and serve it for breakfast!