Posted on October 10, 2014 by ryan la chica
My Husband and I have half shares of vegetable, orchard, berry, egg and meat. Below is an example of how we use up all of the goodness!!
Monday night:To tired to cook, so we spent the evening sorting our share and eating leftovers- corn and turkey leg stuffed poblano peppers with tomatillo salsa.
Filed under: Greig Farm Berry Share, Member Diary, MimoMex Farm Shares, Northwind Farm Meat Share, NY Orchard Share, Recipes, Yellow Bell Egg Share | Tagged: apple, arugula, bell pepper, breakfast fun, broccoli, cilantro, eat local, Egg, frittata, healthy snackage, leek, lettuce, Maple Syrup, Pie!, pumpkin, quick & simple meals, red onion, roasted chicken, sage, salad, Savory Ideas, serrano pepper, simple snacks, Sweet Things, swiss chard, turkey | Leave a comment »
Posted on October 9, 2014 by ryan la chica
Tomatillos can be a challenge for those not used to cooking with them. Share family Swift Johnson shares their favorite recipes in this Special Tomatillo edition of the Member Diary
Here are a couple of tomatillo recipes!!
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos
- 5 fresh serrano chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove tomatillo husks and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness. Broil chiles, garlic, and tomatillos on rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turning once, until tomatillos are softened and slightly charred, about 7 minutes.
- Peel garlic and pull off tops of chiles. Purée all ingredients in a blender.
- Salsa can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
These are SO DELICIOUS as an appetizer. Lemony and fried and super tasty! Great served with marinara or any other sauce for dipping.
- Breadcrumbs or cornmeal
- Salt and pepper
- Mix salt and pepper into a cup or two of flour
- Whisk a couple of eggs
- Fill a small bowl or plate with breadcrumbs or cornmeal.
- Slice tomatillos into 1/4 inch slices
- Dip tomatillo slices in flour on both sides then shake off the excess. Then dip in egg on both sides.
- Finally, dip both sides in bread crumbs or cornmeal and fry in vegetable oil.
- Eat while hot!
Filed under: Member Diary, MimoMex Farm Shares, Recipes | Tagged: cilantro, eat local, Egg, Fun Fried Things, garlic, Mexican Meals, onion, Savory Ideas, serrano pepper, tomatillos | Leave a comment »