This page contains information on the volunteer commitment for members of the Southside CSA. It is general information for those interested in joining. (If you are a member looking for logistical information, please see Soup Kitchen tab or Distribution Logistics page)
Southside CSA is run by volunteers. Members are required to do 6 hours of volunteer work during the season to help run the show. Signing up for membership implies a commitment to help be responsible to make this whole vegetable market in a bar thing run smoothly…
All share groups complete a total of 6 hours of volunteer service over the 7 month season. The 6 hours of volunteer service are broken down into 2 volunteer shifts:
- Distribution shift: 3 hours helping at distribution (Mondays from 6-9pm)
- Community shift: 3 hours helping organize for the Southside CSA community (Various choices; Listed below)
At your sign-up appointment, in addition to choosing your share packages and making a deposit, you will schedule your 2 volunteer “shifts”, penciling yourself into the volunteer calendars. We realize that it is hard to know your Summer & Fall schedules in February or March but we appreciate your ability to humor us and help schedule things. We send out email reminders the week before your shifts and are always willing to reschedule as your schedule shifts around.
Controlling cost through group support of a family farm
Every share group must complete one 3 hour distribution shift from 6-9pm. Each week there will be 5-6 members working distribution. The members show up at 6pm, help organize the shares for pick-up, and check in members during the shift and then help clean up at the end.
Building community through 3 volunteer hours in support of our csa, local initiatives, and a liveable city & sustainable neighborhoods
Every share family helps the CSA by volunteering for minor projects, like writing member diarys and other content for our blog, getting leftovers to the Southside Mission, helping distribution run smoother, or taking pictures during distribution, and updating the blog with weekly distribution information. These “shifts” help keep the CSA organized and effective.
At your sign-up appointment, you will schedule your community shift. All of the shifts below have dates running from May to November.
- Member Diary blog post- Write up how your group uses, divides, stores your share.
- Info Desk during a distribution. This involves selling swag and answering questions, taking photos during distribution and posting weekly share info on the blog from our ipad.
- Work days at a local community garden
- Drive (your car) filled with all the “leftovers” to our donation spot – The Southside Mission located at 280 Marcy in South Williamsburg.
- Organize an event