Tomatillos can be a challenge for those not used to cooking with them. Share family Swift Johnson shares their favorite recipes in this Special Tomatillo edition of the Member Diary
Here are a couple of tomatillo recipes!!
Total Time: 15 min
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos
- 5 fresh serrano chiles
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove tomatillo husks and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness. Broil chiles, garlic, and tomatillos on rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turning once, until tomatillos are softened and slightly charred, about 7 minutes.
- Peel garlic and pull off tops of chiles. Purée all ingredients in a blender.
- Salsa can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
These are SO DELICIOUS as an appetizer. Lemony and fried and super tasty! Great served with marinara or any other sauce for dipping.
- Breadcrumbs or cornmeal
- Salt and pepper
- Mix salt and pepper into a cup or two of flour
- Whisk a couple of eggs
- Fill a small bowl or plate with breadcrumbs or cornmeal.
- Slice tomatillos into 1/4 inch slices
- Dip tomatillo slices in flour on both sides then shake off the excess. Then dip in egg on both sides.
- Finally, dip both sides in bread crumbs or cornmeal and fry in vegetable oil.
- Eat while hot!